More than a school,
we're a community
Each morning at Shanghai American School, 2,791 students are welcomed to one of our two beautiful campuses. But students attending classes is merely part of the SAS experience. Awaiting our families is a community – one that invites involvement, offers support, and fosters partnership with the school and, equally important, with each other.
students from Pre-K3 through Grade 12 on campuses in Pudong and Puxi.
countries have found a home in Shanghai, right here at SAS.
“I wish I would’ve gone here when I was a kid.”
Presenting Shanghai American SchoolIt seems that no matter what SAS visitors are looking for in the school, they come away with the same conclusion: “I wish I would’ve gone to school here when I was a kid.” It’s an understandable observation. Because the educational experience of SAS excels in many ways. Looking for a rigorous academic environment that can prepare your child for some of the world’s most laudable colleges, universities and fine arts programs? You can find that here. Seeking a philosophy that will nurture your child both inside and outside the classroom? Let us tell you about our dozens of clubs, service learning opportunities, and sports teams that range from participatory up to a varsity-level program that has earned 101 APAC championships. Searching for top facilities? Ours are unmatched in Shanghai, and our not-for-profit status means all revenue that goes into the school stays in the school, continually making the SAS experience even better. All of which has caused more than a few alumni to return to campus, look around, and say, “I wish I was still in school here.”
eighth graders have spent a month in a small village in Yunnan as part of Microcampus, one of SAS’ Signature Programs.
subjects are taught concurrently in the two-year interdisciplinary project-based learning program called Innovation Institute, one of SAS’ Signature Programs.
- Red Black Medium Ringside Apex Speed Bag
- Running Fitness Clothes,Men's Fitness TShirt Sports Fitness Compression Shirt,Men's Training Sports Top Equipment Muscle Slim Top，Men's Compression Gym Long Sleeve Running Warm Sweatshirt Workout T
- Single Shoulder Pack Talk Less Smile More USB Charger Port Package for Women
- 360° redating Faucet Retro Faucet Basin High Quality Faucets Nouveau Full Bathroom Copper Hot and Cold Mixer
- Kenda K50 BMX Tire 20x2.125 Steel Bead Black
- Literary Small Fresh Canvas Shoulder Bag Harajuku School Bag high School Super fire Backpack
- CJH Sexual Health Care for Couples with Vaginal Massage Massage Massage Massage Device
- BAOBAOG Women's Backpack PU Fashion Simple Handbag Drawstring Leisure College Bag (color bluee, Size 24 13 33cm)
- SYLHXR Women Print Training Set Loose ONeck Fashion Suit Stretch Long Saleeve Sports Fitness Home Service Comfortable Sleepwear
- Rh Studio Ingreened Umbrella Autumn Forest Path Large Double Layer Outdoor Rain Sun Car Reversible Umbrella
- Japan EVQQ2F02W Tact Switch 6 6.5 2.5mm Waterproof and dustproof Inside Mouse Switch
- blue Offshore A17 Green Flash Big Game Trolling Lure 16 inches
- Attwood 141917 ClampOn Portable Marine Boat Navigation Light Kit, Silver
- YYH Creative Shape Plastic Bowl Nut Shell Fruit Storage Box Circular Melon Seeds Fruits Organizer with Cellphone Holder
- Champion System Men's Madison Short Sleeve Airlite Jersey
- Eucalyptus L Vaude Men's All Jahr Moab Jacket
- FINOHM Decoration orange Snowflake Christmas Provide Women with HighWaisted, Ultra Soft Lightweight Gym Yoga Leggings
- KuLM Outdoors Flip and Sip Lid for Wide Mouth Water Bottles (Including Hydroflask) Made from BPA Free Plastics
- Living Room Wall Art Painting Modular Picture Frame 5 Piece Pcs White Snow Wolf Couples Home Decor HD Printed Modern Canvas
- Christmas Tree And Christmas In July Cool Hoodies Print Pockets Suit
- FidgetFidget Screws Bike Tapered Head Bolts 6Pcs M5 X9mm
destinations across China await our students' arrival each year as part of China Alive, an SAS Signature Program that deepens our students' appreciation of our host country.
As a not-for-profit, all revenue goes back into our school. Here’s proof.
On Tuesday, September 17, 1912, just months after the fall of the Qing Dynasty, SAS opened its doors to 38 students. The school occupied two buildings in the city’s Hongkou neighborhood, just north of the Bund. Founded by a group of missionaries, SAS quickly earned the backing of the American business community and by 1921, the two-building campus had grown to twelve buildings.
The 1940s were a challenging time for everyone in Shanghai. At SAS, the school persevered, thanks to a teacher who refused to let it close. Frank “Unk” Cheney created “Bootleg SAS” versions to navigate an ever-changing political climate and assure the educational excellence of SAS survived the tumultuous decade.
It was 1980, and after a “recess” that lasted 30 years, Shanghai once again needed premier education for the children of expats. The wife of a U.S. Consulate employee, Linnea C. Lauer, was tasked with re-founding SAS. That fall, class was once again in session for seven SAS students – three of whom were Lauer’s own children.
By the mid-1990s, SAS had outgrown our shared space with Shanghai’s famous Girls No. 3 School, and the demand was so strong, it called for not one but two campuses. For the next 2-3 years, the school was housed in two impressively designed makeshift campuses while our current ones were being built.
With a history that began in 1912, SAS is Shanghai’s most storied international school.